Thursday 30 October 2014

Aiguilles Rouges Binge

This is a fantastic time of year to be climbing up in the Aiguilles Rouges so I've been making the most of Chamonix's Indian summer and getting some climbing in. First up was a couple of days messing around on the Aiguillette d'Argentiere, which is always fun. As well as firing up the normal routes, I also went and checked out the harder lines on the pinnacle and they were superb.


Stunning autumn views from the Aiguillette.

At the weekend Sharon and I fancied a multi pitch route and decided on "Cocher - Cochons", above Planpraz. I'd done the route a couple of years back and the climbing was just as brilliant as I remember. That final pitch up the arete is something else...


Sharon on the final pitch of Cocher Cochon. 


Looking across at a climber who had just finished a neighbouring route, with the Berard Valley visible behind. 

Today I had a half day free and having come down with a cold earlier in the week I wasn't too bothered what I did, provided I got out in the fresh air. In the end I decided to go and have a solo mission on Mic et Maousse, a short 5a rock route near the top the Brevent which I did last autumn.  I coughed my guts up on the walk in but I was glad I made the effort because soloing easy rock with no-one in sight was blissful. 


Easy, fun and occasionally exposed climbing on Mic et Maousse. 

I'm now off back to UK for a combination of work and play and by the time I get back, the Montenvers train will be only the lift open in the Valley and town will be empty. Winter beckons!